by Donna Lomnicki
This coffee shop certainly earns one of the top ranking for coffee cup reduction. As I look around the very inviting and comfy shop, about 90% of the patrons have reusable cups. I notice the “Bring Your Own Cup” literature on the counter, the bowl of BYOC buttons, and the smiling face of Julian.
He commented that “more people have been noticing the BYOC signs and commenting that they will bring their own cup”.
The atmosphere is very conducive for kicking back in an overstuffed chair, gazing out the large picture windows, enjoying a cup of coffee, or a catch up chat with a friend, reading the paper, computer work time, or as I do each Saturday, a fun robust game of cards.
They go the extra mile to reduce and reuse. The highlights are as follows:
- $0.10 off for using your own cup
- lots of fun durable mugs to use on the premises
- durable cup drinking water station
- container for liquid sugar (no packets)
- real metal spoons for stirring
- well-marked dirty dish and recycling center.
- offer for purchase mugs, cups, and whimsical handmade cloth coffee holders
An audit of cup and lid usage per month (since August of 2016) showed a 50% reduction in disposable coffee cup usage. Very impressive and a great cost cutting measure!
Papaccino’s Coffeehouse and Tea is located on 44th and SE Woodstock. Visit their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pg/papaccinos/