By Holly Hummel, RA Treasurer
If you are reading this article, we’d like to invite you to our next Recycling Advocates board meeting, and for that matter, all board meetings. We do great stuff and could use your help. Plus, we enjoy nice munchies and beer and wine at the meetings. Come say hello and see what we are all about. Our next board meeting will be on July 9th at 6:30 pm in NE Portland, RSVP and we’ll send you the address.
Last month, it was my turn to host the board meeting, and I decided to see if I could do it without buying packaged food. Here’s how I did it.
- I purchased beer in growlers.
- I brought reusable containers to the Fred Meyer and filled them with humus and olives at the olive bar.
- I didn’t want to buy chips because of the packaging, so brought my reusable bag to Grand Central Bakery and purchased a loaf of sliced bread. They gave me $.10 discount and compliments for bringing my own bag.
- I purchased Oregon grown hazelnuts in bulk at Sheridan’s Market at 409 SE Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard. I also purchased bulk sesame sticks and trail mix while I was there. I brought my own reusable bags
- I stuffed dates with walnuts, purchased in bulk.
So, the lesson I learned from this is that there is a lot of food out there that can be purchased in bulk without disposable waste. So, for me it was a matter of making a choice to not buy the packaging.
BTW, if you haven’t been to Sheridan Fruit Company lately, they have a rocking bulk department. You can purchase in bulk everything from spices, to grains, dried fruit, tea, chocolates and other candy. They also have a wonderful butcher counter.