- Get Involved
Legislative and Advocacy
- Recycling Advocates initiated public discussion regarding the environmental costs associated with the massive use of paper and plastic check-out bags.
- Recycling Advocates closely monitored the Bottle Bill legislation (SB707) and the E-waste legislation (HB2626) as the bills progressed through both houses. RA kept its members informed and recruited their testimony to encourage passage of both bills.
- RA has been working with the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation to increase collection in Oregon.
- Sponsored the first electronics product stewardship legislation in Oregon, Senate Bill 867, which passed and was signed into law in 2003.
- Launched the ongoing Western Electronic Product Stewardship Initiative (WEPSI) , a multi-stakeholder process intended to institute shared responsibility for electronic waste.
- Advocated to maintain the quality of curbside collectibles in the Metro region during the transition to commingling.
- Helped eliminate polystyrene foam food containers in Portland restaurants.
- Helped achieve weekly curbside recycling service with containers in the Metro region.
- Led a nationally recognized campaign to discontinue PVC (#3) plastic packaging.
- Introduced "Ten Ways to Stop Junk Mail," guaranteed to significantly reduce junk mail in your home; over 700 people in one Portland faith community used this flyer to make a difference.
- Published "Recycling at Events: A Guide to Preventing Waste at Any Event," and worked with planners of events such as Cycle Oregon and Taste of the Nation to implement waste prevention methods.